In addition to our Refugee Resettlement program, Jewish Social Services helps many individuals who have been granted asylum status in the US. We help these families receive healthcare, work permits, Social Security card, and education opportunities. Currently, immigrants from Cuba, Haiti, Ukraine, Venezuela, Central America and other nations are the primary recipients of these benefits.


If so, you may wish to do the following:

  1. Apply for benefits

As an asylee, you may be eligible to receive benefits including health insurance, help finding a job, English classes, and more. Applying for and receiving these benefits will not affect your status as an asylee. You have a limited time to apply for these benefits after the date you received asylum.

  • Obtain more documents

You may immediately apply for an unrestricted Social Security card at any Social Security Office. For more information, visit or call 1-800-772-1213. Also, although you have the authorization to work in the United States as long as you remain in asylum status, you may wish to apply for an Employment Authorization Document (EAD; also known as a work permit). To learn more, visit Lastly, you may need a Form I-94 to receive certain benefits. To make an appointment to receive one, call USCIS (800-375-5283), explain that you have received asylum, and ask for an InfoPass appointment

  • If possible, apply for asylum for your family members

You may request derivative asylum status for your spouse and children. You must have been married prior to the date you received asylum, and your child/children must have been less than 21 years of age when you submitted your asylum application. You have two years from the date you received a grant of asylum to apply for your family members to join you as asylees. For more information,

  • Apply for legal permanent residency

After you have been physically present in the United States for one year following the date you received asylum, you may apply for Legal Permanent Residency (a Green Card). Five years after the residency start date listed on your Green Card, you may apply for U.S. citizenship. To learn more, speak with an immigration attorney or visit

Eligible populations for JSS services include:

U4U/Humanitarian parolees, Cuban Haitian entrants, SIV holders, Asylees, Refugees, Amerasians, Victims of Trafficking

Contact Jewish Social Services for help accessing benefits and to learn more about our programs 608-442-4081 or